The Legal Side of Owning a Food Truck

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/233386

Because South Bend recently began allowing food trucks to operate in town, I thought this was a cool article detailing the legal aspects of operating such a business.  Please read before you purchase an old ice-cream truck and throw in a stove!

3 thoughts on “The Legal Side of Owning a Food Truck

1. Very interesting article. There was recently a gentleman who tried to open a “Potato Bar” type restaurant franchise in University Park Mall’s food court and he was shut-down basically before he began. He was using the potato business to try and “earn some extra money” and had no idea about meeting health code standards. I was just in there yesterday and the space is once again completely vacant awaiting a new Thai restaurant. Food trucks are an excellent entrepreneurial opportunity, but making sure everything is on the up and up can be a challenge for someone who doesn’t first completely understand the industry before they begin.

2. I thought the discussion on zoning was interesting. I never really thought about the fact that food trucks would have to abide by zoning restrictions for the property where they are selling.

3. I am confused by the zoning requirement, although it probably doesn’t make that much of a difference for food trucks. They want to be in areas with high pedestrian traffic, or near office buildings. I don’t understand, however, how ice cream trucks can serve residential areas, while food trucks cannot.