The impact of disruptive technology: A conversation with Eric Schmidt

http://www.mckinsey.com/industries/high-tech/our-insights/the-impact-of-disruptive-technology-a-conversation-with-eric-schmidt

Here is a video of Google’s executive chairman Eric Schmidt on disruptive technology. I found it fascinating, because here was an executive of a giant corporation, the kind that Christensen was referencing in his piece, yet he was completely aware of the burgeoning disruptive technologies. I think this is evident by Google’s approach to the market and its focus on technological innovation. Google is an industry leader but it is still on the forefront  of commercializing new technologies that don’t initially meet the functional demands of mainstream customers and appeal only to small or emerging markets. Innovations such as driverless cars, Google glass, and others show that Google has learned from the Innovator’s Dilemma. While no company is immune, I believe Google is more prepared than most of its predecessors to deal with disruption.

One thought on “The impact of disruptive technology: A conversation with Eric Schmidt

1. I agree with you – I also found this video fascinating. The forward-looking nature of Google is impressive. The Innovator’s Dilemma compels it to constantly be changing, evolving, growing, predicting, forecasting, and improving its products. I got the sense from this video that Mr. Schmidt was not anxious, afraid, or uncomfortable with disruptive technology; but rather, he embraced it and talked about it with a sense of wonder and unspoken confidence.