Entrepreneurs finding new markets with the support of lawyers: Could Apple be an example?

As I read Sarasvathy’s article I could not help to remember how groundbreaking Steve Jobs was with the launch of the personal computer, and, more recently, the iPad and the smartphone. He basically created products without knowing if there would be customers for them. Apple created a new demand, rather than just supplying products in a different way. Searching for this topic, I found this Forbes article that provides an overview of the book “Play Bigger” that seems to be a great complement to Sarasvathy’s point of view.

The Apple example leads me to the idea of how important legal advice is to innovative companies. Companies that seek the development of new products and new ways of doing things, will inevitably face the risk of infringe regulations in different matters. From environmental and labor protections to copyright provisions, a company needs also comply with the regulation in place or even use it to protect itself. Good legal support becomes a necessary part of achieving success. This article talks about the number of lawyers Apple has and how important its legal team has been to the corporation in a large number of different topics.