Dish Says Sling TV Has 2.2 Million Subscribers

The Aereo case and the related articles made me question our protection of the big networks. Has it impeded the growth of innovation?

I have attached an article that details the shift away from satellite tv packages and toward online streaming services. If the big providers do not adapt and create their own streaming services, will satellite tv packages become obsolete?

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2018/02/21/business/21reuters-dish-network-results.html

One thought on “Dish Says Sling TV Has 2.2 Million Subscribers

1. Mylinh, thank you for sharing. This article makes me think of the Napster/iTunes music evolution we have discussed in class. Interestingly, it seems like most TV providers were able to avoid total disruption of their business model by the Internet (unlike the music industry). But similar to the music issue, consumers do not want to buy “packages” in order to get the few channels they want, just like music consumers did not want to buy full albums just to get one song. Sling TV is a step in the right direction, but I wonder if we will ever get truly “a la carte” TV options like we have with iTunes where you can buy just one song at a time.