Travis Kalanick is back!

Former CEO of Uber, Travis Kalanick, is back; not at Uber, but at another startup called City Storage Systems. This startup, formerly, CloudKitchen. is focused on repurposing real estate.  He apparently invested $150 million and will be the new CEO. I wasn’t surprising to me that he is the new CEO of another startup (since it seems like the same players tend to be involved in business ventures). What was surprising though was the type of startup. Check it out here!

3 thoughts on “Travis Kalanick is back!

1. Annie, thanks for sharing. I also saw this article over the weekend and was intrigued that Kalanick would seemingly pivot to such a different business sector. It also makes me wonder what is to come with this space. Kalanick was onto the transportation issue early, maybe real-estate startups will be the next wave to help consumers more efficiently utilize and engage the space around us?

2. Interesting article Annie! What I found most interesting was the part of the article that discussed Travis’ work at UBER on a similar project. It stated:

“That mission has some similarities with one of the projects Kalanick was most passionate about — UberEats — which has become a serious business for the company by using its vehicle fleet to deliver meals from restaurants.
    In fact, current Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi tweeted his congratulations to Kalanick and said CloudKitchen is a current partner of UberEats. An Uber spokesperson said some of the “virtual” restaurants that are operated by CloudKitchen operate on UberEats.”

I am interested to see how Travis will use his knowledge and expertise with UBER Eats and infrastructure issues to help his new company.

3. Annie, interesting article. This start-up is seemingly different than Uber but as you mentioned, you often see the same players in big business ventures. He is probably able to use the business model that he used at Uber to develop other ventures. I will be interested to see where City Storage Systems goes…