»

Jan 20

New Year. New Look.

This guest blog post comes from our Director of Graduate Career Services, Larry Westfall.

——————

NEW YEAR. NEW LOOK.

Every January I find myself caught in the same conversation: “what am I going to resolve to do this New Year?” Some of my friends couldn’t wait to tell me their New Year’s resolution and it was barely past Christmas. Of course, I felt the pressure of needing to respond with one of my own lest they think that I’m unable to resolve to improve myself or come up with something that’s deemed worthy of being called a resolution. So I dutifully pulled out my mental go-to list – join the gym, eat healthier, call Mom more frequently – and tried to remember which one I used last year and whether I actually did it.

But not all resolutions have to be about losing weight or exercising more or stopping some annoying habit. They can also be about what we want to do for others, how we can make a difference in someone else’s life, or how we can use our gifts to respond to the needs of others.

And that’s just what we did in Grad Careers for 2017. We resolved to make your career journey less complicated with a more comprehensive set of tools and resources and a repository that makes it easier to not only find career information but put it to good use. It’s a New Year, a New Look, and a New Website for Grad Careers.

The new look and content to our website have been in the works for the past year and we are excited that we are able to launch in 2017. We resolved early on to develop an enhanced website and resources that would facilitate student, faculty, employer, and alumni engagement. We wanted a website that would result in increased opportunities for communicating information across our various constituencies. And lastly, we wanted a more user friendly website that remained true to our mission of preparing graduate students to achieve strong career outcomes after their time at Notre Dame.

We think we met our objective and would welcome your feedback on the same. So visit our site to learn about news and upcoming events, explore career development strategies, or discover new resources and let us know what you think. We believe there’s something for everyone. And we’ve even added this new blog, Unhindered Career Commentary, where we will share insights on career-related issues and concerns and will feature commentary from across our many constituent groups including our students.

Oh, and by the way, I did finally set a New Year’s resolution for 2017. I resolved to turn off the TV more frequently and engage the growing stack of books on my nightstand and the cache on my e-reader. So far, I’m on track, having just finished Harper Lee’s Go Set a Watchman, but then again, it’s still early days.

Until next time be #IrishReady! We are. Are you?

Larry