Overview of the WL-STEM Mentoring Program
- Mentors and Mentees meet at least once a month for approximately 60-120 minutes from February – May, 2018
- Mentors and Mentees document feedback and track meeting dates
- Mentors and Mentees complete brief online evaluations at the middle and end of the mentoring program period
- Mentors and mentees are required to complete the Mentor-Mentee Contract Agreement and send a copy to WLSTEM@nd.edu after the first one-on-one meeting
Guidelines for Implementing a Successful Mentoring Process:
The AAUW-ND CAP Team created a mentoring contract as a guide for the mentors’ discussions with their mentees. As you discuss these items, please be as specific as possible regarding the ways you have addressed these talking points.
- Identify shared interests, professional background, and professional goals
- What are your strengths and areas that need development?
- What do you expect from a mentor?
- What do you expect from a mentee?
- Setting the ground rules: How we will meet our expectations?
Developing an Effective Mentoring Experience
- Identify issues to discuss, development plans, and provide coaching:
– Mentor: How I will give feedback?
– Mentee: How I will receive feedback?
- Agree on meeting times and dates
- Agree on contact methods outside of set meetings (such as phone, text, email, voicemail, etc)
- Incorporate active listening: empathy, paraphrasing, being attentive, not interrupting, and asking open-ended questions