The Notre Dame Sites network has been updated to 5.6. Read more about the WP 5.6 release.
Author: Erik Runyon
This maintenance release fixes an issue introduced in WordPress 5.5.2 which makes it impossible to install WordPress on a brand new website that does not have a database connection configured. This release does not affect sites where a database connection is already configured, for example, via one-click installers or an existing
The Notre Dame Sites network has been updated to 5.5.1 which contains a number of security and maintenance updates.
The Notre Dame Sites network has been updated to 5.5 which focused on three major areas: speed, search, and security. Read more about the WP 5.5 release.
As mentioned earlier, the Block Editor has become the default on sites.nd.edu. Visit wordpress.org/gutenberg to learn more about the WordPress block editor. If you would like to have the option for the Classic Editor, you can activate it in your Plugins settings.
The Notre Dame Sites network has been updated to 5.4.2 which is a security and maintenance release that includes 23 fixes and enhancements.
The Notre Dame Sites network has been updated to 5.4.1 which contains a number of security and maintenance updates.
When WordPress initially released their block editor (Gutenberg), we made the decision to continue with the Classic editor for the Notre Dame blogs network. This was done by activating the “Classic Editor” plugin for the entire network, with the option for site admins to enable the block editor for their sites.
Starting with the WordPress 5.5 update slated for August 2020, the Classic Editor will be disabled by default for the entire network. Site admins will have the option of reactivating the plugin for their site if they wish.
Visit wordpress.org/gutenberg to learn more about the WordPress block editor.
The Notre Dame Sites network has been updated to 5.4.
Two new blocks. And better blocks overall.
- Two brand-new blocks: Social Icons and Buttons make adding interactive features fast and easy.
- New ways with color: Gradients in the Buttons and Cover block, toolbar access to color options in Rich Text blocks, and for the first time, color options in the Group and Columns blocks.
- Guess a whole lot less! Version 5.4 streamlines the whole process for placing and replacing multimedia in every block. Now it works the same way in almost every block!
- And if you’ve ever thought your image in the Media+Text block should link to something else—perhaps a picture of a brochure should download that brochure as a document? Well, now it can.
Cleaner UI, clearer navigation—and easier tabbing!
- Clearer block navigation with block breadcrumbs. And easier selection once you get there.
- For when you need to navigate with the keyboard, better tabbing and focus. Plus, you can tab over to the sidebar of nearly any block.
- Speed! 14% faster loading of the editor, 51% faster time-to-type!
- Tips are gone. In their place, a Welcome Guide window you can bring up when you need it—and only when you need it—again and again.
- Know at a glance whether you’re in a block’s Edit or Navigation mode. Or, if you have restricted vision, your screen reader will tell you which mode you’re in.
Your fundamental right: privacy
5.4 helps with a variety of privacy issues around the world. So when users and stakeholders ask about regulatory compliance, or how your team handles user data, the answers should be a lot easier to get right.
Take a look:
- Now personal data exports include users session information and users location data from the community events widget. Plus, a table of contents!
- See progress as you process export and erasure requests through the privacy tools.
- Plus, little enhancements throughout give the privacy tools a little cleaner look. Your eyes will thank you!
The Notre Dame Sites network has been updated to 5.3.2 Maintenance Release.
Main issues addressed in 5.3.2:
- Date/Time: Ensure that
get_feed_build_date()correctly handles a modified post object with invalid date.
- Uploads: Fix file name collision in
wp_unique_filename()when uploading a file with upper case extension on non case-sensitive file systems.
- Media: Fix PHP warnings in
wp_unique_filename()when the destination directory is unreadable.
- Administration: Fix the colors in all color schemes for buttons with the
- Posts, Post Types: In
wp_insert_post(), when checking the post date to set
publishstatus, use a proper delta comparison.
The Notre Dame Sites network has been updated to 5.3.1 Security and Maintenance Release.