Post-Tours Reflections.

Upon reflection, the language acquisition process can be addressed in many different ways. While I was aware of the different elements of language, such as writing, speaking, and listening, there are many different exercises by which to improve these areas. For example, we would read aloud and improve pronunciation and read and answer questions for comprehension or listen and answer questions for comprehension, also have grammar lessons or written exams. The language acquisition process is ultimately multifaceted and exhausting. In terms of the cultural differences I came into contact with, they were pretty well handled and didn’t require too much adjustment on my part. The lateness of the dinner is an example of a cultural difference, but I quickly adjusted my internal clockwork and came to enjoy the late night meals and conversation. In terms of language learning the SLA experience has shown me how much I have left to learn. I have definitely met my goal of being able to be confident in my language skills and to employ French whenever possible, as well as improving my level. However, I am unsure as to whether or not I improved it enough for the coming semester of French classes in Paris. I probably needed more time at the institute or just need to sit down and memorize grammar. In my time before I return to France I will put a lot of effort into mindfully memorizing verb formations and vocabulary. At the same time, I do not want to undermine the progress I have made after my month in Tours, but I also need to rise to the challenge of mastering French.

As a result of my SLA Grant experience I have brought back insight into how to interact with people who I not only do not know, but who share a completely different basis than me, starting with the language. The pace of life in Tours, France is something I have come to admire and appreciate and seek in my own life; while slower, it is seemingly more mindful. The dinner conversations that opened up politics and philosophy alike to questioning and discussion is the sort of open challenge and address that I long to have in my daily interactions. If I could give advice to someone who was considering applying for an SLA Grant or preparing to start their own summer language study I would tell them that it is a beautiful experience and one they should take advantage of, that while it is mentally and emotionally exhausting, it is the sort of satisfying exhaustion that leaves you happy you did it. I would ask them why they want to do this, why learning this language is important to them and to tell them to let that motivate them to go and talk to a someone who they perhaps wouldn’t normally if only for the sake of practicing and improving their language. It is easy to get lost in the culture and in the role of observer when going abroad, but for the sake of learning the language it is important to not fall into the idea of learning language through osmosis.

My immediate future following this SLA experience is very clear, as I will be studying at Sciences Po in Paris for the duration of the Fall semester. I will grow what I have learned already by enrolling in a B2 French course for the semester and by having two other college courses in French, all the while living in France! When I return from my semester abroad I hope to continue to take courses in French and keep my level of French up by potentially seeking post graduate opportunities in France or to teach English in a French speaking country. In the meantime I will continue to read the news in French and to listen to French music. Keeping up the level of language as well as learning it requires a constant and mindful attendance. I hope to take French into my professional career of international human rights lawyer or some other field. I definitely hope to live and work abroad for at least a few years in the future. While this SLA Grant experience showed me the difficulties of living abroad, it also showed me the beauty of it and it has definitely made my desire to live abroad more of a realistic goal.