America and China’s Cultural Relationship

One of my favorite places to interact with locals is on the basketball courts on Peking University’s campus. A love for the game of basketball is something that I share with many Chinese people. Basketball is extremely popular in China, and I think this leads to a deeper relationship between Chinese and American cultures. Many NBA players tour China in the offseason to try to popularize the game. For me, basketball is the starting point to a conversation with locals. I see many different American jerseys on the basketball court, so I often start a discussion by asking about their favorite player or their favorite team. However, occasionally, this leads to deeper discussions about the differences between life in China and life in the U.S.

Western culture’s influence on China is obvious when walking on the streets of Beijing. I constantly see American brands, sportswear, and clothing with English sayings. I also see some people listening to American music or watching American television while riding the subway. However, one major divide that still exists between the US and China is the way we interact with our governments. Unlike Americans, Chinese people don’t seem to be very interested in discussing politics or issues facing China. I do not know if this attitude will change anytime soon, especially since the Chinese government is cracking down on use of VPNs. This means that fewer and fewer young people will be able to interact with and learn about western life and mentality. Based on my conversations with residents of Beijing, in general, Chinese people seem to have a sort of affection for American cultural values. Young people especially talk about what they hear about life in places like New York or San Francisco. I think they still see America as a land of opportunity, but it is increasingly difficult for them to visit the U.S. However, I hope Chinese people maintain their interest in American culture, and I look forward to the day Americans develop a greater interest in Chinese culture.