Reflection

(08.12.2017)

1. Reflect on your language learning and acculturation during your SLA Grant experience. 

To properly learn a language, one must make the effort to learn about the culture attached to their language of choice. I certainly learned a lot of new vocabulary and grammar in the classroom; however, the lessons outside of the classroom are what made my trip an exceptional experience. While useful for conversation in the classroom, some of our vocabulary proved to be less practical for daily conversation. During my time in China, I encountered the difference between listening and speaking in the classroom versus communicating in real world situations.

In my opinion, observation is one of the best ways to understand cultural differences. Walking around on the streets and parks, going into restaurants, bicycling, and participating in Beijinger’s lifestyle allowed me to perceive the cultural differences. I learned about Chinese values and their focus on respect and family. I also witnessed accommodations for their dense population and I learned about their pride in their long history. Overall, I respect the cultural differences.

Starting out, my goals were a bit ambitious. While I did not meet all of them, I definitely made satisfactory progress in my language capabilities. I gained a bit of that confidence that I was aiming for. At least in the classroom, I became more comfortable speaking. Outside of the classroom I also dared to test out my Chinese. While I was in China, I did travel independently without any problems. By the end of the program I was very comfortable taking the subway. I even took my own weekend trip to Shenzhen, making my way to and from the airport. When it comes to buses and taxis, I am a bit more hesitant. I cannot read simple literature without consulting a dictionary as I had planned, but my character recognition has increased significantly.

1. Reflect on your SLA Grant experience overall.

Even if we are separated by culture and location, we are all human, deserving respect, requiring love, and relying on one another. Living in America with the privileges that I have, I often forget to think about my brothers and sisters around the world. I thought of people of other countries as collective populations rather than individuals. Now my world view has expanded.

Another concept that I pondered over is the universal pursuit of happiness. Different cultures have varying approaches to and definitions of “happiness.” I feel that America is especially open to individuals taking their own paths. Perhaps because of their long history, China seems to be more rooted in tradition. Compared to the United States China is homogenous. Many people’s “happiness” has been planned for them by tradition and their elders. Many aim for security: a well-paying job, children, and a household.

For those preparing for their own study abroad journey, I highly suggest venturing out as much as possible. Prioritize studies, but avoid getting so involved that you forget to immerse yourself in the culture. Also, if possible try to engage more with locals. Take advantage of the activities and places that are available in your country of choice. I promise the summer will fly by.

1. How do you plan to use your language and intercultural competences in the future.

The SLA grant provided me with my first independent international experience. I view China as the first of many to come. I am increasingly interested in global studies and now I am more determined to become fluent in Chinese than ever. From here I will continue studying Chinese. Unfortunately, next year I will not have room in my schedule to take Chinese at Notre Dame, but this summer has equipped me with language study skills that I can use to study Chinese on my own. If I have a chance, I intend to pick up Chinese class again at Notre Dame. Maybe I’ll even major in Chinese if my schedule permits.

While in China, I learned more about myself. I managed my time well in China and reflected on my life in America. I came to further appreciate my educational opportunities and possibilities for global communication. I also admire the hard work of Chinese university students who undergo tremendous academic pressure and competition. Overcoming the Chinese language barrier opens a door to a whole different world. In the future, I would love to be able to travel.