Corey McCarthy

Recipient Profile

E-mail: cmccar22@nd.edu

Language: German

Location of Study: Munich, Germany

Program of Study: Goethe Institut

Sponsors: Center for the Study of Languages and Cultures

Blog URL: http://sites.nd.edu/sla2019/author/cmccar22/

Pre-departure

A brief personal bio:

I am originally from Glastonbury, Connecticut, but now I live in the beautiful Dunne Hall. I am currently planning on double majoring in Marketing and International Economics with German. I also participate in a variety of extracurriculars, including Student International Business Council, Model United Nations, Matriculate, and Basketball Band. In my spare time, I like to play basketball with my friends, read a good book, or pass around a frisbee on North Quad.

Why this summer language abroad opportunity is important to me:

While the SLA Grant will be incredibly beneficial to improving my German language academic progression, my long-term goals for my language usage extend beyond academics. In fact, I sincerely hope to be able to use my German knowledge in my future career. With my International Economics and Marketing double major, I have the eventual goal of working in international business. While I haven’t decided exactly what I want to do within the field, having experience with a widely utilized business language expands the possibilities tremendously. One such possibility would be getting a job in Germany after graduating. Many of these jobs require proficiency in both English and German, as well as a cultural understanding of the area. I could also get a marketing job based in the United States helping a German company. Earning any of these jobs with such an international focus would be a dream come true. With its prospering economy and global reach, learning the language and culture of Germany will be a valuable progression for my eventual academic and career goals.

What I hope to achieve as a result of this summer study abroad experience:

My program at the Goethe Institut offers a systematic approach to language learning for all experience levels, and features small class sizes and self-directed learning. There is also an extensive culture and leisure program included that introduces students to Munich and the surrounding area. In addition to visiting wonderful museums, landmarks, and events in and around the city, I will also be regularly put in contact with native speakers. All of these experiences combined will effectively accelerate my progression with the German language and properly prepare me for further academic study and beyond. Additonally, Munich is a beautiful city with a rich culture and a fascinating history. Immersion in this type of atmosphere will be invaluable for me as a curious and eager student. Taking part in this program will both greatly improve my language skills and vastly increase my passion for the German language and culture. I will be able to return to Notre Dame as an even more educated and excited student!

My specific learning goals for language and intercultural learning this summer:

At the end of the summer, I will have a more full understanding of German culture, especially that of the Bavarian region. At the end of the summer, I will be able to communicate more effectively with my peers, professors, and native German speakers. At the end of the summer, I will have a greater mastery of certain grammatical techniques that are currently beyond my abilities. At the end of the summer, I will be more understanding of what it is like to be totally immersed within another culture, giving me further respect and appreciation for cultures different than my own.