Charles Sedore

Recipient Profile

E-mail: csedore@nd.edu

Language: Russian

Location of Study: St. Petersburg, Russia

Program of Study: American Councils Advanced Russian Language and Area Studies Program

Sponsors: Center for the Study of Language and Culture and the College of Arts and Letters

Blog URL: http://sites.nd.edu/sla2019/author/csedore/

Pre-departure

A brief personal bio:

My name is Charles Sedore and I am currently a Sophomore studying Political Science and Russian at the College of Arts and Letters. I am currently a resident of Fisher Hall and come from Grand Rapids, Michigan, although I am originally from Iowa. After college, I hope to use the experiences I have learned to apply for graduate school and maybe even volunteer for the Peace Corps with the hopes of joining the State Department’s Foreign Service.

Why this summer language abroad opportunity is important to me:

By providing me with the means to continue my education beyond the academic year at Notre Dame, the SLA Grant is helping me to facilitate my learning which will benefit me as I move forward in my academic career and into my professional career. In terms of my academic goals, the program and studying abroad will allow me to expand my knowledge and put the ideas and knowledge I have learned in the classroom to use. I hope to combine both of my interests along with my experiences abroad as I move forward through my academic career. This program in Russia would also provide me with the on-hand experience that would be a benefit in my job pursuit in the State Department. I hope to work in the State Department and be able to serve my country in the international stage.

What I hope to achieve as a result of this summer study abroad experience:

I hope to achieve a few goals with the use of the SLA grant during my summer in St. Petersburg. My first goal is the improvement of my overall Russia usage. By not only taking academic classes in Russian and learning more about Russia, but also by having to live with a host family and confront everyday situations, I hope to strength my proficiency in the language. This would also allow me the opportunity to gain first hand experience in learning colloquial Russian by being forced to confront situations where I must learn to adapt and understand the language spoken in everyday life. Another major goal I hope to achieve with the SLA grant involves improving my understanding of everyday life in Russia and the overall society. By learning about and experiencing everyday Russian life, I am not only increasing my intellectual and academic knowledge, but also gaining valuable skills and experiences that I hope to use in pursuit of my academic career on the international level.

My specific learning goals for language and intercultural learning this summer:

1. At the end of this program, I will have a greater understanding of Russian culture and society beyond a simple textbook understanding.

2. At the end of this program, I will be exposed to colloquial Russian and come to a better understanding of Russian used in an everyday setting.

3. At the end of this program, I will be able to read, write, listen , and speak Russian at a level that is two semesters higher than my current understanding.

4. At the end of this program, I will be given a new understanding and appreciation in the difference between cultures, especially between the United States and Russia.