Summer Spotlight: Hannah Spero

3rd Year Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, and Earth Sciences PhD

Summer plans: This summer I will be traveling to Western Ireland with my co-advisor, Dr. Andrew Kennedy. Alongside our Irish collaborators, we will be co-teaching a summer field school on storms and coastal boulder transport and deposition at Kylemore and on the Aran Islands. Then, I will be conducting fieldwork on the island where we have an ongoing coastal boulder experiment! For the rest of the summer, I will be analyzing data and working to understand how the large winter storms from the Atlantic Ocean changed the shoreline morphology (what it looks like, what it is made of, and much more)!

What are you most looking forward to this summer? On a research-related note, I am most looking forward to combining my passions for research and teaching this summer while on this Ireland research trip! I am excited to use this summer to dive deeper into my research and also to share how my research “rocks” at outreach events and conferences. In my free time this summer, I am looking forward to camping, kayaking, and exploring all of Indiana’s state parks!

You can learn more about Hannah’s research on her Academic Twitter account: @sperogeology