Nippori Fabric Town

So many pretty fabrics!

If you’re the DIY Pinterest type of person, Nippori Fabric Town might just be your neighborhood. Recently I had a chance to accompany a friend to this area of Tokyo off of the Yamanote line, and it was quite an interesting experience. About a five minute walk from the Nippori Station South Exit, there is a roughly one kilometer street full of fabric and crafty stores. We visited the store Tomato, which has several locations along this street. Each store of Tomato offers a slightly different variety of fabrics and varying prices.

I know I said this before, but Japan really love specialization. Unlike most areas in America where stores and restaurants are spread out throughout the city, Tokyo has pockets and niches where it sells or promotes a specific item. For example, I was walking around in a neighboring town and I stumbled across a street that has at least ten beauty salons right next to each other. This is true for other items and services as well. If you know what you want to buy or do, then there is probably a street or neighborhood that caters to that need. This may or may not also ties back to the omiyage culture of Japan. Each areas of Japan has a specialty gifts that area produces or are famous for, and coworkers/family/friends expect you to bring back a local gift when you visit the area, i.e. Tokyo Bananas from Tokyo.