Greetings from Munich!

Hallo! Herzlich Willkommen!

It’s been nearly two weeks now since I’ve arrived in Munich, and I think I’ve finally settled in. At first, the city seemed large and confusing, but by this point it nearly feels like home.  Munich is home to 1.5 million people, which is certainly more than South Bend, but is still relatively small compared to other major cities in the US and around the world. And yet Munich is indeed a major city in Germany; it’s the capital of Bavaria and, one might argue, the heart of traditional German culture.

German culture as Americans often think of it, with its beer and pretzels and lederhosen, is actually primarily focused in Bavaria, which today is a state in the federal republic of Germany. Munich, as the capital of Bavaria, is home to some pretty authentic German experiences: bars and breweries abound, as do lederhosen-adorned accordion players and massive medieval churches.

Part of the reason Munich feels like such a small city is due to its most famous church. Frauenkirche (“The Cathedral of our Dear Lady”) has twin domes, which stand 99 meters tall. After Frauenkirche was built, an ordinance was passed prohibiting future buildings of a height greater than 99 meters. As a result, Munich has no skyscrapers and no typical big-city skyline. It’s more like a sprawling village, with countless small buildings and public spaces. This construction makes Munich feel far more cozy than intimidating, despite its relatively large population; and after less than two weeks here, I already feel at home.

The school where I’m studying German is just a 10-minute tram ride away from my apartment, where I live with my host “family” (which consists only of one middle-aged woman). After school, I typically head out with my friends to explore the city. We walk 2 or 3 minutes to another tram station and set off for the English Garden or Hauptbahnhof or the Deutsches Museum. Everything is very cozy, very simple and comfortable (very, as the Germans might say, “gemütlich”). The city is truly organized to make you feel right at home.

With some photos of a few favorite spots in Munich so far, I now conclude my first blog post. I’ve found Munich to be incredibly intriguing and welcoming, and I look forward to sharing some stories and experiences that really highlight the great aspects of Munich and of Germany in my future posts.

The entrance to the Deutsches Museum, a famous science museum in Munich.
An authentic German phenomenon–the ethnic Turkish restaurant! Home to delicious kebaps (and more!)
The district court in Munich, across from a lovely park I visited.