Thornburg, Ann Marie

E-mail: athornb1@nd.edu

Language: Bahasa Indonesia

Location of Study: Bali, Indonesia

Program of Study: Cinta Bahasa Language School

Sponsors: Kellogg Institute for International Studies, Liu Institute for Asia and Asian Affair, College of Arts and Letters, Center for the Study of Languages and Cultures

Blog URL: http://sites.nd.edu/sla2018/author/athornb1/

A brief personal bio:

Ann Marie Thornburg is a PhD student in the Department of Anthropology at University of Notre Dame. She also holds an MFA in Poetry from University of Michigan Helen Zell Writers’ Program.

Why this summer language abroad opportunity is important to me:

The Bahasa Indonesia training provided by this grant will enable me to improve my Bahasa Indonesia. Improved Bahasa Indonesia will allow me to complete ethnographic research for my doctoral dissertation in anthropology. It will also prepare me to begin translating poetry written in Bahasa Indonesia into English.

What I hope to achieve as a result of this summer study abroad experience:

I intend to improve my reading, writing, and speaking in Bahasa Indonesia.

My specific learning goals for language and intercultural learning this summer:

1) By the end of the summer, I will be conversationally competent in Bahasa Indonesia in a variety of everyday and casual topics that I will encounter while doing ethnographic research.
2) By the end of the summer, I will be conversationally competent in Bahasa Indonesia in a variety of academic and professional topics relevant to my doctoral dissertation work.
3) By the end of the summer I will be able to translate a poem from Bahasa Indonesia into English.