Hannon, Jessica

E-mail: jhannon1@nd.edu

Language: Spanish

Location of Study: Cusco, Peru

Program of Study: CISabroad Summer in Peru

Sponsors: Kellogg Institute for International Studies, the College of Arts and Letters, and the Center for the Study of Languages and Cultures

Blog URL: http://sites.nd.edu/sla2018/author/jhannon1/

A brief personal bio:

I am a rising junior from Glen Head, New York, a town on Long Island. I live in Farley Hall and am majoring in Sociology and Spanish with a minor in the Hesburgh Program in Public Service. At Notre Dame I act as a research assistant in the BRAVE lab (Building Resilience After Violence Exposure), a member of Junior Class Council, and a member and dorm representative of the Red Cross Club. I love to hike and explore the outdoors and cannot wait to do so during my time in Peru.

Why this summer language abroad opportunity is important to me:

My SLA Grant is allowing me to get a jumpstart on some of my future academic and personal goals, as well as to continue my language-acquisition process. Next Spring, I will be studying abroad in Toledo, Spain and participating in immersive Spanish programs in both Latin America and Europe will allow me to broaden my understanding of the nuances of the language. Additionally, I am planning to write a senior thesis in Sociology during my senior year and am tentatively planning to study the social factors which contribute to the high occurrence rate of Intimate Partner Violence in Peru. My experiences this summer will allow me to develop a stronger foundation for these upcoming educational pursuits, augment my academic experience here at Notre Dame, and strengthen my confidence going forward in both personal and professional arenas.

What I hope to achieve as a result of this summer study abroad experience:

My SLA grant has afforded me the opportunity to choose a program in Peru which will push me outside of my comfort zone to improve my conversational Spanish. My Spanish courses at Notre Dame have consistently been my favorite classes each semester, yet due to the nature and location of these classes it is often difficult to engage in authentic conversation in Spanish. This summer, I plan to take advantage of my time in Peru to gain practice speaking Spanish spontaneously and consistently. By the end of my program, I hope to feel more confident interacting with native Spanish speakers and speaking Spanish in groups with my peers.

My specific learning goals for language and intercultural learning this summer:

1. By the end of the summer, I will be able to utilize academic sources in Spanish with greater accuracy to assist me in future academic and research pursuits.

2. By the end of the summer, I will be able to converse confidently with native Spanish speakers on topics specific to Peruvian society including politics, social trends, and history.

3. By the end of the summer, I will be able to incorporate complex verb tenses (including the pluperfect and future perfect) into my speech with confidence and without hesitation.