Steurer, Madelyn

E-mail: msteurer@nd.edu

Language: Italian

Location of Study: Siena, Italy

Program of Study: Dante Alighieri School

Sponsors: Albert J. and Helen M. Ravarino Family International Scholars in Italy Award, the College of Arts and Letters, and the Center for the Study of Languages and Cultures

Blog URL: http://sites.nd.edu/sla2018/author/msteurer/

A brief personal bio:

I am a current sophomore studying Marketing in the Mendoza College of Business as well as Romance Languages. This past year I was a member of the Notre Dame cheerleading squad as well as an active member of Undergraduate Women in Business, Fashion Club, and the social media director of Her Campus Notre Dame. I have a passion for textiles and run my own fashion and lifestyle blog at www.thelittleluxe.com. In my free time I enjoy making music and art. You might find me on campus working as the French Gallery Teacher at the Snite Museum!

Why this summer language abroad opportunity is important to me:

With the help this grant provides financially, I will be able to take courses in Italian for subjects that are crucial for my career goals. It is my dream to work in fashion marketing and be able to combine both my love for language and business in an artist’s setting. Unfortunately, Notre Dame does not offer classes focusing on luxury fashion management or marketing. It is not just a goal of mine to work in fashion, but I dream of working in Milan in order to effectively use the skills I have gained from the Romance Languages major as well. I have no room in my schedule to add art classes such as art history or business classes that focus on entrepreneurship. With the help of this grant, I will be able to take these classes and gain more knowledge about to how blend my love of art and business for a future career in fashion as well as communicate in the target language I will be speaking in if I happen to work in Milan. Upon return, I hope to take elective courses in my language focused on art history and an overview of the development of Western art.

What I hope to achieve as a result of this summer study abroad experience:

My specific learning goals for language and intercultural learning this summer:

1. At the end of the summer, I will be able to discuss Italian art with natives in a way that emphasizes cultural significance as well as highlights ties to the textile industry. 2. At the end of the summer, I will be able to speak and write at a level of proficiency equivalent to two semesters beyond my current course placement at Notre Dame. 3. At the end of the summer, I will be able to read and understand the context of Italian music in order to play it in concert upon my return.