Ciao Ciao!

Buonasera!

I arrived in Sorrento on Sunday after flying into Rome. Minutes after clearing customs, the reality of being in Italy hit me when I had to locate my lost suitcase. I walked up to the “Alitalia” desk and handed the man my passport. Upon seeing my nationality but also my last name he asked if he should speak in English or Italian. I requested a “slow” Italian and he obliged, which gave me the chance to practice my italiano. In addition to finding my suitcase, he also told me about life in Rome, his family, and how to best travel in Italy. I was grateful for the opportunity for conversation and just as thankful for the retrieval of my bag!

Touring Rome gave me more exposure to the language, despite everyone’s insistence on speaking English with me. I struck a deal with some shop owners and waiters that I would practice my Italian with them and they could respond in English to practice the language with me. It worked out well for everyone involved.

The view from my room in Sorrento!

I arrived by treno to Sorrento, which is a beautiful beach town with a population of about 16,000. The small size means that everywhere can be reached by walking—if you don’t mind going uphill! I live about 10 minutes from the town center, Piazza Tasso. Nearly every Italian I have met here has proudly taught me about Torquato Tasso, a late Renaissance poet who was born in Sorrento. One man said that every adult who lives here has read poetry by Tasso.  Sorrento has streets, plazas, and restaurants named after the late poet.

On the walk to Piazza Tasso, there is a view of Mount Vesuvius!

Even though it is a fairly small town, Sorrento has many English speakers. However, whenever I go into town for groceries, dinner, or gelato, I try to speak Italian. The people here are so willing to supply a word or finish my sentence if I seem to be stuck, which I really appreciate as it helps expand my vocabulary.

Today I went to a gelato shop and was determined not to require any assistance with speaking Italian.  I have, after all, gone out for gelato probably 5 times in the past 3 days. Everything was going according to plan (mango and strawberry gelato was put into a small cone for me) and panna (whipped cream) was added on top per my request. After paying for my gelato, the server continued talking to me, which I was not expecting. He saw my blank face and immediately translated what he had said to English: stand in front of the fan to slow the melting of your gelato. This interaction reminded me that in addition to getting comfortable with speaking only Italian, I have to continue my study of vocabulary.

I look forward to the coming weeks during which time I hope to become a regular at my favorite coffee and gelato shops so I can understand more about the culture and continue practicing the language.

Grazie for reading about my Italian adventures!

Jane