Saris and Goodbyes: फेरी भेटौला नेपाल!

Studying for the final exam

So, the semester has come to an end. I feel tired and sad and happy and nervous that I’m going to forget everything and hopeful to learn more – in other words, it was a great time, and I really hope to be able to do intermediate next summer.

Us practicing how to wear saris after class

For the end of the semester celebration, our teacher Pavitra and some of the language partners helped us learn how to put on saris – a traditional South Asian dress. I have worn saris before, but it never fails to astound me how much fabric they are to tote around with you. It’s fairly simple in theory – there is a petticoat and a blouse, and then the actual sari – a long piece of fabric you pleat and fold around you in an elegant way. Luckily, Moona (my homestay ‘mother’) was at home the day of the party to help me put mine on since, although Pavitra is a great teacher (of both Nepali and putting on saris!), I think it’s going to take more than a couple lessons for me to really ‘get’ the art of donning a sari.

Me and Phoebe with the language partners, our teacher Pavitra, and my homestay little sister at the end of the semester party.

For the actual party, my homestay sister picked out one of her mom’s for me (a beautiful bright purple one with jewels), and Moona expertly pleated it, telling me when to tuck it into my petticoat and when to wrap it around. I loved having it on, but my little sister had to keep reminding me to hold the front up as I walked so I wouldn’t trip. It was hard work.

Nepali class and language partners being silly before our talent show performance – Kutama Kutu

Even so, that didn’t stop us from dancing at the end of the night to a super catchy traditional Tibetan jam and getting tons of complements for our enthusiasm to wear saris. We sang a popular Nepali song for the talent show and ate good food and cheered on other classes as they showed off their talents. It was a great time.

Eating daal bhat for lunch with class and some of the language partners

It’s hard to imagine that I’ll never be with this same group of people again in quite the same way, but I do feel assured that we will all cross paths in the future. The research community in Nepal has been amazing, and the language partners and teachers have truly become my friends. I look forward to the program next year (fingers crossed) and to meeting my new language partner back at home.