Reflection

1. Reflect on your language learning and acculturation during your SLA Grant experience.

The pace of the summer program was fast. However, the faster I learned the material, the faster I forgot it as well. It was difficult to retain the information, and I am a bit nervous about the upcoming placement exam. I did learn a lot new grammar though-an equivalent of a year’s worth at Notre Dame-so I hope to employ this new material in everyday speech during Japanese class. Although my teacher and host family complimented me on my improvement, I am struggling to see it. However, comparing myself from first year to now, I can see that I have reached milestones.

One thing I have realized is the number of 作文 3rd year students write. I first found it to be a nuisance, but it has greatly helped with my usage of grammar and vocabulary. Although I do not enjoy writing them, I do appreciate their assistance.

2. Reflect on your SLA Grant experience overall.

It was irreplaceable. I met a lot of people that have grown every dear to my heart. And I miss them immensely. I will never forget this experience.

It was my first time riding an airplane to a different country. And although I was very homesick the first week, Hakodate was absolutely beautiful and calming and I grew to love the program, the people, the city.

3. How do you plan to use your language and intercultural competences in the future?

After graduation, I plan on applying for the JET Program. If accepted, I will teach English in Japan for a duration of one to two years. I am still unsure of what job I want to do, but I thought the JET Program will be ideal because I love children, Japanese and Japan. In addition, the time period will help me plan and think of the future. At least I hope so.