Blog Post #2: Korean Cafe Culture

7/10/2017

The wi-fi in our dorm is currently not working (this seems to have been caused by the recent rain). As an excuse, I decided to go to one of Seoul’s thousands of cafes in order to get some work done. Within the last couple of decades, the cafe culture in Korea has been booming. When walking down the streets of Seoul, you are guaranteed to walk past a cafe every minute. However, these cafes are different from your average American cafes like Starbucks. Most if these Korean cafes have a certain theme and an interior to match it. The themes can range from animals, cartoon characters to flowers and even Legos. So no two cafes are the same.

I decided to come to a cafe called 토끼의 지혜 (Rabbit’s Wisdom), which is a book cafe. The walls of the cafe are lined with bookshelves filled with books of every genre. I decided to come to this cafe not only because of my love for books but also because my Korean professor told me that the best way to improve my Korean was to read as many books as possible.

After coming here I wonder what it would be like to have a cafe like this in the States. I feel like it would be very popular…

P. S. I read a short novel by 정세랑 (Jung Saerang) titled 섬의 애슐리 (Ashely of the Island).