“Why do I Need to Learn Persian and why in Armenia,” People ask me.

At the end of the fourth week, I finally succeeded to have a decent conversation with an Iranian person in Yerevan. As I went to a popular touristic destination, the Cascade, last Thursday, I figured out in short that there is plenty of Iranian tourist around, which would give me an opportunity to talk with a native speaker of Persian. Finally, although I was aware that my Persian speaking skills might not be enough to keep a conversation, I managed to build up my courage to start a conversation in Persian. After a brief introduction in English with an Iranian lady, I started talking in Persian and continued to talk three or four more minutes in this language. At the end of the conversation, she asked me “why do you need to learn Persian” and my answer was precise: “I am working on the thirteenth and fourteenth-century western Anatolian political structure and interfaith relationships between Christianity and Islam. Since the official language of the Seljuks of Rum was Persian, I need to have a decent level of reading in Persian to be able to reach the necessary primary sources from this period of time.” After this question, she asked the second question about my Persian learning process and its necessities. “Why don’t you learn Persian in an Iranian speaking country?” Indeed, this was a really good question and I did not have a ready answer for this. I just stated that because of some political problems, I did not want to go to Iran. In spite of my answer, she suggested me several summer school in Iran if I would decide to go there for a summer school in the future. Also, I am told by her that the official language in the country called Tajikistan is also quite close to Persian. So one would also be able to learn Persian there by attending several summer schools. However, since I need to learn Persian with Arabic Alphabet, and the Tajik language is with Cyrillic alphabet, that option would not probably the best one for me for now.