From Former Capital to the 2016 Olympics – A Timeless City

The past few weeks in Rio have continued to be incredible. Opportunities to practice the Portuguese language have continued to arise outside of the classroom. As time goes on, I am better able to adapt to non-carioca accents, including accents from São Paulo, the nordeste, and Rio Grande do Sul. I continue to use Portuguese daily in the classroom, outside of class, and with my host mom. I was talking with some of the students and teachers the other day about how much I love small phrases that Brazilians use a lot that in my opinion demonstrate the warmth of the country’s culture. For instance, when you inconvenience/accidentally harm someone and say “Sorry!” or when you thank them for doing something for you, often the response is “Imagina!” (imagine!) or “O que é isso!” (what is that!) Essentially, both phrases are warm ways that Brazilians brush off any feeling of burden or guilt by the other party. I really appreciate it, or being told “Relaxa!” (relax) when I am late to something.

June has had many different important dates and holidays, including Corpus Christi, Pride Month, Boyfriend/Girlfriend Day (“Valentine’s Day”), and more. I have attended and seen several of these celebrations, but ones that stood out to me were the festas juninas (June parties). Since it is the winter, festas juninas are often a way for people to continue community celebrations. Combined with the legacy of different saint days this month (Saint John, Saint Paul, and Saint Peter), the festas also involve wearing “traditional” clothing from the Brazilian countryside. Some people wear plaid shirts and straw hats to the events, which sometimes have lots of food from the nordeste. According to my teachers, these celebrations continue through July.

We’ve been able to engage with the city of Rio a great deal. Chances to practice Portuguese have led me to the different neighborhoods of Leblon, Ipanema, Copacabana, and Botafogo, as well as places like Parque Lage or Palacio de Catete. All have had splendid views. I’ve bee able to climb mountains and go around the lagoon, and I have found myself getting into such a rhythm everyday that the people at the juice place I go to know my order before I walk in the door.

Everyone has been incredibly friendly and I am again so thankful for the opportunity to be in Brazil. I have developed good friendships with non-Brazilians from school as well as many Brazilians themselves who have been wonderfully hospitable and receptive. I have exciting events going on this week that I am excited to share about later.

Until next time,
Benjamín