Pre-Departure Blog

I predict that this immersive study abroad experience will be much different from  classroom learning in America. In Cologne, I will be surrounded by German language and culture both inside and outside of the classroom. I will be challenged to use German in many new settings, such as ordering food, at a grocery store, or at a train station. I hope to improve not only my German grammatical, vocabulary, and pronunciation skills, but also my knowledge of German culture. I want to have a fully immersive experience, including going to museums, trying local food, and learning about the architecture of the historical buildings. The institute that I am going to offers weekly activities outside of the classroom, so I plan to take advantage of these opportunities as well. I expect to use my German language skills as much as possible during my experience. I know that my comfort using the language will grow as I attend my classes and begin to grow more familiar with the new culture. I expect to learn a lot about the German language and hopefully all aspects of German culture, including theater, art, architecture, and food. 

I hope to grow in many ways during my summer abroad experience. Firstly, I hope to gain more independence. I have never lived alone in a foreign country before, so I plan to take this opportunity as a chance to gain independence and confidence in a new country. I also hope to grow in my understanding of different cultures. Having lived in the United States for my entire life, I know I will experience culture shock at certain aspects of German culture. However, I plan to use these experiences to learn and grow as a person. Lastly, I hope to grow by meeting lots of new people. I am excited to meet new people with interesting stories to tell and lessons to teach. It will be fascinating to experience diversity of thought and background, which will help me to grow as an individual and gain perspective. Overall, I want to grow not only in my language skills, but also as a person through this summer abroad experience.

This is a photo of the Cologne Cathedral from 1910. Construction was completed on the Cathedral in 1880, and the spires are 157 meters tall. The design style is similar to the High Gothic Cathedrals of northern France. It is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. I am very excited to see the Cologne Cathedral in person and learn more about the history of this beautiful Cathedral.