Waiting for Ireland

Hello to anyone reading! I will be attending the Irish language summer immersion program offered through NUIG from July 15th to August 12th. I am so excited to get to finally attend the program this summer! After the program was canceled last summer due to the pandemic, I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to finally be able to go. I think that this immersive experience will greatly benefit my learning of the Irish language. 

I expect this immersive experience to be incredibly different from the normal classroom setting that I have been learning Irish in so far. I will be fully immersed in the language both inside and outside of the classroom, whereas at Notre Dame, I am only ever immersed in the language inside the classroom which is not much. While at this program, I intend to learn more about the culture of Ireland through the Irish language and also become more competent in the Irish language, enough so that I will not struggle as much when having a conversation in Irish. I also hope to grow into a more independent person while abroad since this will be my first time traveling outside of the country without my family. Although I am nervous for this experience as I am sure many tend to be when first traveling across the ocean alone, I am also hopeful that this will be a great experience, and I am super excited for it!