Truffle Hunting!

For this blog post, I’d like to discuss what a learned a unique ingredient that’s very special in Tuscan cuisine: the truffle! For those unfamiliar, this is a rare sort of mushroom with a potent taste and earthy aroma, and its extensive use in the kitchen has made it an expensive staple of upscale cuisine despite its unassuming, lumpy, brown exterior. But, just last week, I had the great opportunity to learn of this fungus’ wild origins in the woods of Siena!

What makes truffle so rare is its very specific needs: plenty of moisture, some shade, and even the species of tree whose roots it can sprout at are limiting factors for its growth. Additionally, it takes at least a month for these mushrooms to reach a harvestable size. The mild but wet climate of Tuscan forests facilitates their growth perfectly. But even then, truffles can be made unusable by insect infestations or blight. However, when hunts for this mushroom are successful, both the economic and culinary yields are rich!

The greatest part of my truffle-hunting experience had to be meeting the hunters themselves: two adorable dogs! With their amazing sense of smell, the two canines I followed along—named Moka and Pepita—sniffed out mushrooms for their handler, Alessandro, with pinpoint accuracy. Truffles, depending on the species, are typically either naturally exposed or just under the surface of the soil, but even the most trained truffle dog will only notice the scent of mature truffles—therefore ensuring that the ones collected are more likely to have a great taste.

I didn’t understand the popularity of truffles before the tasting experience at Alessandro’s little shop in the heart of Siena. But after sampling panforte (another Sienese specialty), cheese spreads, and even honey utilizing the ingredient, I realized how absolutely delicious it could be—especially complemented with sweet and savory flavors! What makes it a stellar part of a dish is when its used most authentically, straight from the mushroom, as opposed to derivatives such as truffle oil. Aside from infusions, chefs use truffle very conservatively: typically grated over food with the exterior layer included so that every last bit of it boosts the dish it’s in (often pasta) as a whole.

All in all, the most important thing I gained from this experience was the dedication it takes for truffle hunters such as Alessandro (and his dogs!) to uphold this niche but lucrative industry. Authentic truffles can only be natural, and only an amazingly small handful of people in Tuscany and the surrounding areas are practically the sole providers to such a unique element of the region’s cuisine. Though I don’t know when I will next have truffles considering the price tag, this experience as whole will remain a staple of my first week abroad!

One thought on “Truffle Hunting!”