Empanadas, Merquen, and Maracuyá.

Empanadas are really big here in Chile, in fact they are a national dish. On our trip to Pomaire, a pottery town about a two hour drive from Santiago, we were given some of the country’s favorite: pino empanadas. Empanadas are essentially dough with various types of fillings. Pino is a popular type of empanada, the word coming from the Mapuche indigenous word “pinu,” meaning pieces of cooked meet, typically beef. Empanadas are a staple in daily cuisine here in Chile, and at the university where we are studying, you can get Empanadas a few different places, usually for around $2 each! Because they are cheap and simple, the empanada has become a common lunch for me and the other people in my group. 

Some other observations about food in Chile: there really isn’t very much spice in the food here. While flavors are rich and good, I had thought there might be a bit more of a kick. There is one spice, however, that is quite popular called merquen. While many foods in Chile have been brought by European influence, merquen in a spice this is frequently used in the cuisine of the Mapuche, the indigenous people of the region.

Lastly, maracuyá (passionfruit, or in Hawaii where I grew up, lilikoi) is everywhere! In cheesecake, ice cream, drinks, etc. I was thrilled to discover this, and made Chile feel a bit more like home for me.