An Italian’s America

After asking a 30-year-old priest, a 23-year-old local, and a few different retired people, the concepts brought up the most were: trump, guns, breakfast, and Chicago.

Everyone wants to know my opinions on Trump as well as whether I want to buy a gun. I tried to give a balanced perspective on both sides. It was still hard for them to understand how we allow for so many school shootings. They literally couldn’t understand why America loves guns so much. They also wanted to know how an American views Trump. They listened intently and shared their own perspectives on what direction their country is going in. 

Italians love American Breakfast. The idea of waking up and having a plate full of waffles, pancakes, bacon, and eggs is a dream. Many people said it was their favorite food despite only having it a few times.

Additionally, when I said I was from the US many people said that was the only place they visited in the US, that, and Chicago. I find this very interesting because those are very Italian cities. Additionally, whenever I said I was from Chicago, I would get “Al Capone!” “Blues Brothers!” “The Bean” and “Michael Jordan.” It was humbling to see my city to be simplified into these small parts of the larger culture and history of Chicago. However, on the other hand, them knowing anything about Chicago gave me pride in my city. People from the other side of the ocean new a few famous people and artifacts in MY city.

I don’t expect them to know anything more than that, especially as I know very little about any world geography.

Duomo di Siena