Solidarity with Ukraine in Georgia

I have been waiting to write a blog post about current events only because of the importance of the events in this region of the world right now—I want to reflect my conversations with people in Georgia as accurately as possible in a short post. I did not have to make an effort to gather information about opinions on the war in Ukraine. Many people I encountered were vocal about sharing their condemnation of the actions of the Russian government. I saw countless Ukrainian flags proudly displayed in Batumi. Many Russian speakers wear pro-Ukraine pins to signify their solidarity with Ukraine, café black boards remind customers that 20% of Georgia is occupied by Russia, anti-Russia art and graffiti is visible on almost every block, and among residents of Batumi there is sadness for what is happening in Ukraine and fear for the future.

Conversations with my Georgian host brother, conversation partner, and strangers in restaurants made it clear to me that Georgians value their independence highly. My host family expressed their support for the Ukrainians who have moved to their city, and demonstrations against the war and in support of Ukraine were held throughout the summer. However, even though there is widespread support for Ukraine, Georgia fought a war with Russia just 14 years ago, and even though the Georgians I spoke to strongly oppose the war, their position is also complicated by Georgia’s reliance on Russian tourism, their reliance on access to the Black sea, and their very real fear of Russian invasion.

I could write much more, however, in short, as an outsider, it was beautiful to see Georgian solidarity with Ukraine and I am grateful I had the opportunity to be more aware of and to learn about the war, how it affects Georgians, and public opinion in Georgia.

Bridget