Goin’ Back to Indiana!

With my program beginning in just one week, my mother plays a favorite song of hers, the groovy “Goin’ back to Indiana” by the Jackson 5 (link attached below for your listening pleasure), excited for me to move back – just a few weeks after leaving South Bend – for the Indiana University Summer Language Workshop in Russian. Nervous about the potential cancellation of abroad programs in the region, I opted for a domestic language program and will begin next week in Bloomington, moving into the immersion dorm and going through an intensive placement process for Monday class.

Although disappointed that I cannot go abroad and experience another culture, I am very excited to make great strides in my Russian, as the IU program mandates full Russian immersion through a language contract. This entails speaking Russian-only – in class, in the dorm, at meals, etc.. Classes at Notre Dame generally focus on the difficult Russian grammar and I am nervous to express myself only in Russian, as my speaking is weaker than reading or writing. However, I hope this focus on speaking will push me to improve my verbal communication skills and expand my vocabulary, giving me confidence in my senior-level Russian classes and potential graduate program.

This summer I am thrilled for the opportunity to make and track improvements in my language skills, persevering through challenges and enjoying this amazing experience. I am very grateful to the Nanovic Institute for the generous Pushkin Grant and the CSLC for their support, and I look forward to updating this blog over the summer!

До Скорого!

Бриджит Кёртис

One thought on “Goin’ Back to Indiana!”

1. Even though it’s not the classic study abroad experience, I’m so happy to see you diving in with enthusiasm and passion. I have no doubt that even though your immersion will be here in Indiana, it will be a formative experience. I can’t wait to read about it!